Thursday, August 25, 2011

I CAN DO THAT! DIY TUFTED HEADBOARD BY LISA NGUYEN

SO, in the process of remodeling my own room, I came to realize what I should already know: I can never afford to buy full priced furniture living in the city.  I'm terrible at managing my money and working in retail does NOT help.  HOWEVER, with all the production skills I've picked up from being in Visual, I can make things without having to give up my first born child for a beautiful (AND CUSTOM!) headboard.

Inspiring ideas:







The good news is I was able to scrounge up all the materials I needed right here in store. Those things being:
  • Plywood
  • Batting (foam is better stuffing)
  • Fabric
  • Buttons
Tools you'll be using are all things you can find in most visual shops:
  • Hammer
  • Nails
  • Sandpaper
  • Woodsaw
  • Nailgun
  • Drill and drillbit
  • Tape measure
  • Blue tape
  • Wire
Brief instructions:
Step 1:  Cut the plywood in the shape and size you would like

Photobucket


Step 2: Cover with batting or foam.  The thicker the stuffing, the more recessed your buttons can be which means more pleating!

Step 3: Cover in fabric.  Please keep in mind I was using left over David Yurman fabric or I would have chose something much more fanciful :)

Photobucket

Step 4: Use a gridding method to mark where you want your buttons.  I used blue tape just for the sake of not marking on the fabric:

Photobucket


Step 5: Use a nail to make a hole through to the back side (using a drill will make the batting swirl into your drill bit, turns into a mess!), remove the nail. From the backside you can use a drill bit to make the intial hole bigger, will be easier to guide your wiring through. 

Photobucket

Step 6: Add a short screw adjacent to that hole so you can "strike" your button to it.

Step 7:  Guide wire through from backside, loop through button, then back through hole and wrap remaining wire to the screw.  Pull tight for puckering. 

Photobucket

The back should look like this (or probably better):
Photobucket

Step 8: Admire your work!
Voila!

Photobucket





 



No comments:

Post a Comment